When reading Ilie Cioaras books, The Silence of the Mind and The Wondrous Journey: Into the Depth of Our Being, one is suddenly shaken by the simplicity of the message; shaken because the recent plethora of nondual teachings often do the exact opposite of what they set out not to do. And that is not engage the mind further in its conceptual machinations; but very often that is not the result.. A survey of questions and answers in dialogues with many teachers will reveal nothing but further mind stuff.
In Cioara’s books one senses a communication from direct insight, that speaks to a very obvious fact, if we care to look. And that is: the mind or ‘self’ is created by the thinking process, and there is an Awareness prior to thinking that can attend to this activity, and which, if experimented with, will show that this incessant movement comes to an end in the moment of clear seeing. This is Cioara’s practice for returning to Being. And to want to engage in any kind of analysis of the process is simply the mind’s way of keeping itself alive, and the birth of the new is suppressed. It’s a simple message, which you either take up or you don’t.
~ Kriben Pillay, Noumenon Journal
"This translation is beautifully done and leads to inner peace just by the words on the page, at least for the time spent reading. It is profound and yet surprising in its simplicity. For me, this book is Zen like in its poetic simplicity."
~ Anita Burns, The Messenger
"The words in The Silence of the Mind cut like a sharp razor through the mental conditioning and programming that most human beings on the planet have fallen under the spell of.
This is not a book to be read with the mind but rather with the heart, for intellectual understanding brings little relief from the minds victim story. Indeed, it is the dropping of all stories that reveals the peace that has always been our experience, but was veiled by the minds fantasies. "
~ Michael Jeffreys, book reviewer for StillnessSpeaks.com
"Best book out there to date on direct experience for those weary of belief and philosophical statements that cant be lived."
~ Jody Breeck, Indiana, USA
"When I look back over 2011, I feel that one of the most significant things to happen in my spiritual journey has been the ‘discovery’ of a newly published little book by the awakened Romanian mystic, Ilie Cioara, who was born in 1916, and died in 2004. I am deeply moved as I read and reread it and have the strong impression that Cioara’s writings are going to have the same kind of impact as Nisargadatta Maharaj’s spiritual classic, I Am That."
~ Peter Sumner, The Seer blog
Its always a pleasure to read Ilie Cioaras works. People often talk about being in the "zone", we have all experienced it in fleeting moments. When I am reading from this book I feel that I have a sustained feeling of being in the zone. I hope that many other readers will have this same experience and will pass this on to your friends and loved ones to share in the joy!
~ Paul Chapman, Amazon review
What I particularly like in this book, is the direct contact we can easily get with what we truly are.
No folklore, no intermediates: rites, masters, concepts... Just silence, and what occurs then.
The poems are simply and beautifully speaking to our intuition, and the comments in prose clear, helpful and heartful.
A generous luminous book.
~ Héloise Semperney, Amazon Review
"For its poetry, prose, its introduction and biographical section, this is as beautiful, powerful, and clear a nonduality book as has ever been written."
~ Jerry Katz, Nonduality.com
I would recommend this book to anyone who is on their spiritual journey, it speaks to us at whatever stage we find ourselves, at all levels. A very special book indeed
~ Colin Whitby, The Magic of Being.com
I have read over 1000 books on the subject of the human mind and enlightenment. This book will stand out as one of the best.
~ Russell Monsurate, Vancouver, Canada, Amazon Review
This book. A humble light will overcome any darkness.
I got this book and when I started reading it I felt the scent of Unknown, the glimpse of a song long forgotten but still familiar. Ilie Cioara is NOT Osho, as this is the best point to measure immeasurable things for me. Its something else...
This book is a poem, a view of the non-mind, a different spot of light pointing to the same end or beginning. There are no methods to meditate, but hints of it, there are no hard beaten paths, but verses to flow along with them.
The beauty of it unfolds as you read it again, as you stop the "mind-mill", as you listen to the message. The beauty of the HERE and NOW, of attention as a tool to silence the mind.
A great translation of the unknown, a book to feel, to enjoy without the mind.
~ Lucian Pop, Book Depository review
Reading about Self-knowing is often educational and inspirational. However, when expressed in the form of poetry, there is a depth of feeling that you cannot get through instruction alone. It is a feeling that resonates deep within.
~ Tami Brady, TCM Reviews
I must say that prior to a facebook friend letting me know of the opportunity to purchase this book pre-publication I was not aware of Ilie Cioara or any of his writings. It is one of those synchronicities that we recognize and are glad we acted upon.
The translation of Ilie Cioaras messages to English is a gift to all of us who have experienced those moments of inner peace if even only for a moment. It is poetry and music for each of us who are transforming into our more consciously aware "Self" that dwells within this manifestation of marvelous ego.
I read this while on a vacation cruise with all of the social events that can take place poolside on a deck in the middle of the ocean. I was so gently removed with every word that it was a vacation within a vacation.
Since then it has remained on my desk (dogeared and highlighted) where it serves to remind me of that Silence within, to which, once we have opened the door to experience without fear, we can return to at any time or place.
~ Charles Bergeron, USA
- The structure of the book consists of a series of poems and commentaries encouraging the reader to remain in the present. It makes ideal contemplative reading. ~ Network Review
- Let me start this review by saying the same thing everyone else has said about this book whos had a good look at it: its excellent. The depth of seeing that the author had was tremendous. And, as many who experience Awakeness cannot do, Ilie Cioara can communicate it quite well. The poetry here is beautiful: you get a poem, and then an illuminating prose piece about the poem, lots of each, for 111 pages. Awakeness is speaking clearly here, and what I like perhaps most is that the author presents his own way of saying it. One of the problems in Nonduality today is that the language has become so common that it fails to surprise or shock us into hearing what is really being said. Profound truths are given the "ho-hum, and whats next?" treatment. Its not so easy to bypass the truth with these poems. Its the opportunity to really HEAR something ancient in a fresh way. This now-deceased Romanian mystic that Id never heard of, has left us an enduring gift. If youre looking for a doorway to truth, this is a good one. ~ Fred Davis, Awakening Clarity
- This book is one of the top best books I have ever read! and I read "A LOT" of books, I highly recommend this one to all souls searching for "Truth".
. ~ Sheree Spears, California, USA, Book Depository Review
- "So many books offer new methods or skills for the reader to explore and develop thus adding yet another layer to our already overburdened egoic self. Ilie Cioara offers a simpler, more direct method of pointing the reader towards abandoning that which we are not. As we leave the thoughts, ideas, and actions which hamper our true self the result is our pure essence, unbound from the binding shackles of of ego. Here we find the happiness and freedom of our true nature." ~ Larry Coble, Book Depository Review
- This is a beautifully inspiring book that gently reminds the reader of their awakened awareness that is always present now. It is all a matter of how we use our attention and energy.
The gentle poems and essays remind me of the Tao Te Ching. This book is about flow of attention, about being natural and effortless. We too often forget that a silent mind is our natural state. This book is full of reminders.
Most importantly, it is a book that transmits the awakened awareness that it speaks about. Something actually happens as you read it. This isn't theory or philosophy. This is it!
Any poem, anywhere in the book will do the trick if you allow it. This book is a beautiful gift of grace. I highly recommend it. ~ Tom Thompson, The Awakened Heart Center
- This wise, profound, and easily readable book gives us the master key to Self Realisation as taught by all the great enlightened Sages of the past. The author masterfully explains that we can reach the inner divine nature through cultivating the silence of the mind with deep attention and clear awareness. THe book is obviously written from his own experience with great clarity accessible to the modern man and woman. I strongly recommend this fine book. ~ Alan Jacobs Poet and Author. President of the Ramana Maharshi Foundation UK
- I have read many books on the subject of consciousness, self-realization, non-duality, awakening, Truth, etc. since the late 1960s.
The Silence of the Mind, is one of those very rare books that sometimes only comes once in a lifetime....It is a book that actually transports the reader into the deepest and most profound aspects of their own inner essence, the realization of the Self. The words are easy to read, and are infused with such a strong energy, that I do believe, one could become transformed by simply holding the book, without reading a word! I urge you to explore this wondrous work, a work that mysteriously, yet eloquently, has the power to open the reader to their own essential nature, the beautiful Silence within. The gift of this book is so profound that it is indescribable. This truly is an essential read for any seeker of Truth! ~ Rosemary Cochran, USA, Amazon review
Pramod Aggarwal, Spirituality group
"Superb!!!! I was really enjoying reading above, which was like the essence of all what is known as spirituality!!!! thanks for this!" ~
Pat Cummings, Transcendental Meditation group
"Thank you, this brings new light to what Maharishi says about the point and the gap between thoughts... just beautiful." ~
Dharshan Naran, Advaita Vedanta group
"Beautiful and breath taking...." ~