We are a dynamic publishing company and have published over 1,500 authors during the last ten years.
Our ethos is to work through our innovative database to make the publishing process as easy as we can for potential authors.
Reader reports, editing, worldwide distribution, sales, marketing and publicity are provided for all titles. Author services are also available for heavy editing/rewriting/mentoring, extra marketing and publicity, and websites.
We pay royalties at 50% on ebooks and 10-25% on print books.
If we like a title but feel the market is limited or difficult, a small subsidy from the author may be required, but only around 15% of our titles have one. Subsidies vary across the imprints, but are more prevalent in fiction.
The benefits for an author
- Publishing inquiries are typically dealt within three days rather than the three months publishing average.
- You get feedback from several people rather than one.
- Contracts are usually issued within a week or two of the Proposal rather than negotiated over another three months.
- Production is similarly faster than usual, with an average of three months from manuscript to finished files. Books can be made available for your own use at any time after that, but we do need nine months from finished files to publication to allow time to get into distributor and retailer catalogues, and for the reps to contact shops around the world with the finished product.
- We work with over 70 sales reps worldwide.
- Royalties are competitive on both print books and ebooks.
- Distribution and sales is international rather than national.
- Monthly sales are available for you to see, along with the marketing.
- Access to the database gives a range of contacts if you want to follow up leads.
- You can join in author discussions and help forums.
- More time is available for us to spend on sales, marketing and social networking.
- We can publish more good titles, and good titles support each other in the market.
If you have any suggestions for improvements to the copy in this Author Guide, we would love to hear from you. If you are one of our authors you can use one of the closed author groups or the Author Forum. If not, you can contact us through the website www.johnhuntpublishing.com.
We are a member of the Association of American Publishers and the Independent Publishers Guild, the trade body for independent publishers in the UK.
John Hunt Publishing Ltd. brings out a couple of hundred or so titles a year across a wide variety of subjects, under different imprints.
We started in the early 2000s in the Mind Body Spirit area with O-Books, and that has spun off a number of more specialist MBS imprints, including Moon Books on paganism. Christianity is now covered in Christian Alternative (liberal Christianity) and Circle Books (more traditional). Zero Books publishes titles on politics and culture. We’ve moved into fiction with Roundfire (general), Cosmic Egg (sci-fi/fantasy), Top Hat (historical fiction), Lodestone (YA) and Our Street (children). Changemakers publishes books for individuals who want to transform their lives and the world. In non-fiction there is Iff Books (the human condition, society and civilization), Chronos (history), Business Books, Compass Books (for writers) and others.
We publish internationally. Currently half our authors are from N. America, the rest from the UK and around the world. Sales are handled by National Book Network in the USA and Canada, Quantum in the UK, Andrew Durnell in Europe and Ireland, Publishers International Marketing in Asia, Brumby in Australia and Hay House in S. Africa.
For convenience the imprints are grouped into ten broad areas on the website here. For signing up to a newsletter, click here. Catalogues on new titles are further grouped into four areas, of Fiction, Non-fiction, MBS and Politics/culture (Zero Books). For these or for the “top ten” in each subject area, click here. AI/Tipsheets for all titles are available here. For "More About Us", click here.